These instructions were originally posted on Clay’s Blog. I’ve modified them a little and added screenshots.
- First turn on the Developer Tab on the Ribbon by clicking on the Microsoft logo at the top left of the window and selecting PowerPoint Options all the way at the bottom of the menu. Next put a check next to the unchecked item to show the Developer Tab
- Go to YouTube and select a video to embed
- Copy the URL
- Open Notepad and paste the URL
- In the URL delete "watch?" and change the = sign to a ⁄
- Copy the new URL
- Back in PowerPoint, on the Developer menu choose "More Controls"
- Select Shockwave Flash Object
- Click and drag on the PowerPoint slide to draw a box in which the video will appear
- Right Click the box and select properties
- Paste the URL into the Movie Property field
- Adjust the options for Looping or AutoPlay if desired
- Close the Properties window
- You can now adjust the size of the video by dragging the corners as needed
Your YouTube video will now play directly in your presentation provided you are connected to the Internet.