So, I’ve been running Bloglines instead of Google Reader exclusively for the past 24 hours. Overall it’s getting the job done but there are a few downsides I’ve found so far:
- The spacebar doesn’t work. When I get to the last new item in a feed, I should be able to press the space bar to go to the next unread items. It just doesn’t work. Multiple browsers, multiple OSes. (Nor does the “Next unread” button in the lower-right corner work for me.)
- The widget view. I just don’t use it. I don’t want to see headlines, I want the articles.
- Deleting a feed is clunky. Especially the last light-box that says its done and needs me to click close. Yes, it’ll disappear on it’s own but only after a few seconds. Also, the feed list then moves back to the top of the folder I’m in when I deleted a feed. Please leave me where I was.
- No ability to add other send-to options. In Google Reader I was constantly sending articles to my Instapaper account. In Bloglines, I can just send it to their Read later category.
- Lack of apps or even a mobile site. I tried bringing it up on my phone. This interface does not work on a small screen at all.
It’s still good enough and I’ll be sticking with it for the foreseeable future, but I’m looking forward to seeing what the Digg folks come up with.