Color eInk Kindle?
Color Kindle suddenly seems a lot more likely.
Nate at The Digital Reader reports on Amazon buying Liquavista, maker of Color eInk and potentially Color Kindle screen technology.
The key points –
- Amazon bought Liquavista from Samsung. Perhaps for a bit under $100 million.
- Amazon used a Delaware LLC to try and hide the fact.
- Nate at The Digital Reader (for reasons only known to him) scrutinized the Dutch Chamber of Commerce Filings and discovered something was amiss.
- Amazon finally confirmed – Yes, our nameless faceless ‘OMG it’s so important to be secret when your device sales are not in the hundreds of millions’ Delaware LLC company did indeed buy a company that makes color eInk Technology. No, it’s not for a Color Kindle. Whatever might give you that idea.
- Samsung had bought Liquavista from Phillips Netherlands (if my memory serves me correctly). Now it’s sold Liquavista to Amazon.
- Liquavista’s color ePaper technology is based on electrowetting.
- Bloomberg had first reported on the possibility of Samsung selling Liquavista to Amazon in March 2013. Which is when the whole possibility of Color Kindle still being on Amazon’s roadmap came up. Would be good news indeed.
Read the full article @ Kindle Review.Tags: amazon, color, eink, kindle