Internet 2009 in numbers
The folks at Royal Pingdom have gathered a bunch of interesting stats about the Internet in the year that has recently passed. Head on over to the full article for all the numbers but here’s a sample of the ones I found particularly interesting:
- 90 trillion – The number of emails sent on the Internet in 2009.
- 81% – The percentage of emails that were spam.
- 47 million – Added websites in 2009.
- 8% – The increase in domain names since the year before.
- 1.73 billion – Internet users worldwide (September 2009).
- 18% – Increase in Internet users since the previous year.
- 738,257,230 – Internet users in Asia.
- 252,908,000 – Internet users in North America.
- 126 million – The number of blogs on the Internet (as tracked by BlogPulse).
- 350 million – People on Facebook.
- 4 billion – Photos hosted by Flickr (October 2009).
- 12.2 billion – Videos viewed per month on YouTube in the US (November 2009).
- 148,000 – New zombie computers created per day (used in botnets for sending spam, etc.)