TorrentFreak has a great post explaining some of the most common misconceptions about anti-piracy enforcement today. They are:
- There have been very few actual legal cases, as yet, that have involved torrents.
- The majority of copyright cases are CIVIL, not criminal
- What most people think of as being the law, often isn’t.
- The RIAA and the MPAA never get involved in anti piracy evidence collection directly.
- Most of the time, people are going from what someone they have met on a forum had read in an IRC channel.
Each of these are addresses in detail on TorrentFreak.